Thursday, February 02, 2006

Pyometra - A Dangerous Affair

Just imagine my horror when I picked Sassy up to put her in the truck. Pus squirted out and down over my arm. I could not believe what I saw, nor could I believe the smell. We headed off to the vet immediately who diagnosed this little gal with pyometra. She underwent emergency surgery right away.
We really have to thank Nancy Allen of http://nancy.allen.net - She really was instrumental in saving Sassy's life. Thank you Nancy!!!

If you'd like more information on pyrometra please see the following resources
PYOMETRA in Dogs - What is it.


============== Human Notes =======================

What a day yesterday!My best friend and I went to pick up Sassy only for find out her mother died overnight, so I ended up going with Sassy to the house and house-sit a dead person while waiting for the 911 and the funeral home people......she died peacefully in her sleep while reading her book, I hope I go that way too.Ok... so here's all the Sassy news:

She did not have a tumour nor mastitis.The right side of her pyometric uterus , slipped into the inguinal canal and herniated. This uterus-hernia ulcerated and ruptured. The vet admits he has never seen that before, it's one for the "books", and it's beyond him how she ruptured outside her body, rather than inside her body.He is also convince this happened before as she has some scar tissue in other places from previos ruptures.

His words: "What a mess in there".He cleaned her out really well. NOW she really looks skinny. Her flanks which looked fuller before the operation, in fact was her overinflated, pyometric uterus..... In fact he made me feel better by saying that my moving her around alot, picking and poking her created the awareness necessary to save her life.

Sassy really wants to snuggle in our bed, and we think Sassy deserves at least that much, so to accomodate her drain, I purchased a very large camping tarpolin and put in on top of my bed, then covered in with cozy blankets for Sassy. If she leaks, well, we will just wash and change the blankets, at least the mattress and all of the Under bedding stays clean - so that works for us!She loves staying in bed... and she's finally asking for the door at pee-time HURRAY!!!! I know she wants us to move to Florida.

She hates the cold.Sassy is out of hot water for now. She is still left with a generalized infection and is taking anti-biotics. Her ears are a mess, her eyes need to still be fixed and she also has Central Nystagmus.(all of the above is far from the heart so we will take out time and deal with things)She won't stop thanking me every moment she has!!! What a gal she is!I am now going to take my big, black chow boy out for his morning jaunt WITHOUT the "girls", who like any smart shar-pei, are hidden away under blankets and don't want to know a darn thing about snow. God bless chowlings... they LOVE snow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




View My Stats